Sunday, April 14, 2019

...what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas?...

April 2, 2019...





The nights inductees...

What happened to me in Las Vegas 46 years ago caught up with me on the evening of April 2, 2019 in the 'city that never sleeps'.

  I attended the University of Nevada, Las Vegas on a scholarship (football), as a student I got married there (LaVonne, 47 years and counting) and earned my degree (BA) in art there.

What the Lord enabled me to accomplish since I left Las Vegas is what brought me back to Las Vegas.

On that evening UNLV inducted me (and three others) into their Fine Arts Hall of Fame in an unforgettable ceremony.

Here is the occasion captured in pictures...

Chauffeured to the entrance to the UNLV Student Union Ballroom with friends Donnie and Carolyn Rosemond who drove up from So Calif to lend their support.
(Carolyn, Donnie, La Vonne and me being greeted at the entrance)




In the foyer were pictures of past inductees.


Friends from southern Calif who I knew were coming...

(LaVonne and I with the Rosemonds and Donn and Valeria Burwell, seated)

(with Oscar Woodard)


















...others a surprise...
(with Lorenzo and Johanna Bellamy from So Calif)




Nate Hawkins a teammate from years back, all the way from Texas...


....and one of the coaches from my playing days, Al McDaniels and his wife Cheryl. Coach Al would later introduce me.
The program...

with two pages dedicated to each inductee...











                                                                            




The table set...




Dean of the Fine Art department Nancy Uscher sets the tone for the evenings activities...










Coach Al's introduction...


                                                                                

  my acceptance and thank yous...













...with Dean Nancy Uscher and award...

...Miss LasVegas not only wanted a picture with me but an autographed program too...


Fellow inductee Frankie Moreno and Dad.


The next morning I had the opportunity to address some UNLV film students with Chair of the Fine Art department Heather Addison (fifth from left) and Artistic Director Francisco Melendez (second on left) in attendance.







After signing the big head...


then going straight from UNLV to the airport and back home to experience what if anything lies ahead.


...until next time
















2 comments:

  1. Hi Ron, I work for BBC Newsbeat. Would you be able to send me an email? So that I can have a chat with you about a story. coranelliott@gmail.com Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete